What to Bring with my pet(s) to their Boarding Stay
There are a number of items you may be considering to bring along with your pet to keep them comfortable and occupied. All belongings should be clearly marked with indelible ink with your pet’s name. Here are a few tips to help you decide what to pack.
We will not be able to check your pet in until we have a copy of your pet’s most current vaccine records on file. If we don’t have a current record of your pet’s vaccines, make sure you bring them with you. If you have requested to have your records faxed to us, please call and confirm that we have received them before checking in. If your pets are not current on vaccines, we will be happy to administer vaccines while they are boarding. It should be noted however that vaccines are most effective when administered 7 – 10 days prior to exposure. If possible, it is best to have your pet vaccinated prior to their stay.
If your pet is currently taking medication, please be sure to bring an adequate supply along. Make sure you bring the medication in its original container along with specific instructions on its administration. Please advise us if the dosing has changed or if the medication will need to be refilled while your pet is staying with us. We will be happy to refill a medication, with a doctor’s approval, if the medication was originally supplied by our pharmacy. If the medication needs to be refilled by another pharmacy, you will want to have it refilled prior to check-in.
Food is included in your pet’s daily boarding rate. We can also feed Hill's Science Diet or Prescription Diet food for your dog or cat at an additional charge. Though we are happy to provide food for your pet, you may choose to bring your pet’s own food along for consistency. Even a small amount of stress can affect the gastrointestinal system of your pet and may result in diarrhea. This is not uncommon for “first time” or “anxious” boarders. If your pet is on a special diet of any type, you will want to bring their own food. We ask that you bring only the amount of food your pet is expected to eat during their stay and that it be put in pre-measured amounts in individual Ziploc bags. Your bags should be clearly marked with your pet’s name, your name, and the name of the food. We will ask for specific feeding instructions when you check your pet in for their stay. Please make sure you notify us of any known food allergies.
TREATS AND TOYS
Do your pets look forward to treat and play time like ours do? You might want to include some in their bag! Please make sure that their name is clearly marked on ALL ITEMS to help prevent loss. Here are a few tips to help you decide.
- Do they have a special time of day that they get their treat, or do they have to earn their treat with a trick? Let us know! We want to be as consistent as possible.
- Please, no rawhide chews. It’s best that you give these at home when you can closely monitor your pet.
- Does your pet have a favorite toy you want to bring along? Some toys can be harmful if they can be shredded, broken into pieces, or swallowed. Please make sure you choose toys that are SAFE for your pet.
Stansbury Animal Hospital provides clean towels and blankets daily for bedding. In case of accidents in the kennel, these are easiest to machine wash and keep clean. While you may bring your pet’s bed, there are a few tips you should keep in mind:
- We want to ensure that each pet has ample room for food, water, and mobility in their kennel. We cannot accept beds that are too large for the individual kennel reserved for your pet.
- Your pet’s bed may not be machine washable. We strive to keep your pet’s kennel as clean as possible. We use disinfectants daily to prevent contamination, and we have limited ability to wash stuffed or padded beds. It’s much more practical to use washable blankets and towels which we provide for every pet.
For more specific advice concerning your pet’s bedding give us a call. We’ll be glad to help.
For you convenience you may fill out our Boarding Agreement & Consent form in advance of your arrival. Please print, fill out completely, and bring with you at check-in.